Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 18 - Value Eating on 02/09/2010

Yesterday I had cooked a bigger batch of polenta, half of which I had set aside in the fridge for today. I love “leftover” polenta fried in butter and drizzled with honey… Also great as a savory version with blue cheese and prosciutto!
So, brunch was composed of Fabio’s & Nicoletta’s Polenta from The Scrumptious Pantry, a tablespoon of organic butter, a tablespoon of the organic local honey I bought at the Logan Square Farmers’ Market (80c +15c +21c = 1.16$)

Snack was an apple and some of the yummy cheese (New York Cheddar) I had bought at Foodstuffs (28c+60c=88c).

Dinner was Carlo’s Durum Wheat Pasta from The Scrumptious Pantry with an organic pesto I had bought at the Dill Pickle Coop a couple of weeks ago. I really think that pesto is best when it is made fresh, in the height of summer, with the best ingredients you can get your hands on, but this one was actually quite good for coming out of a jar. And the good thing about pesto is that it is so convenient – perfect when you have no kitchen yet (as was the case when I bought this one). (1.99$+1$ = 2.99$)

Total Food Cost for Today: 5.03$

No comments: