Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 17 - Value Eating on 02/08/2010

Today was one of those experiences that makes me wonder on what basis people choose to feed themselves. To enjoy great food or to spend little? I went to dinner to an Italian restaurant with a large group of friends and although the fixed menu sounded really good (and I was dying for some of the dishes - I was so looking forward to that dinner!), the food was very mediocre. It had nothing to do with the original recipes, and although one could forgive the “americanization” of certain recipes, they were also executed in a very soulless and tasteless fashion. I would have preferred to spend more and eat real food - or better still, cook my dinner at home: even if one buys the finest ingredients one will still spend far less than eating out. Which does not mean I am against restaurant dining per se, if the restaurant is able to create a special atmosphere and experience, I happily pay for the possibility to enjoy those. Anyway, we need to put down 25$ in today’s cost calculation for dinner.

Other than that I had a simple breakfast of Fabio’s & Nicoletta’s Polenta from The Scrumptious Pantry, with local honey and an apple (80c+15c+28c) = 1.23$ and for lunch a peanut butter – banana sandwich (bananas are officially all eaten up and no more to come till my next vacation in some exotic country…): 1.07$, taking into consideration two slices of artisan bread.

Total Food Cost For Today: 27.30$

No comments: